Thursday, April 29, 2010

Is It Possible

to be completely "biked" out? To have ridden the local trails, paths and routes so many times that you just can't do it anymore?

For that matter, can one be totally "biked" out? I've got more bikes and stuff than any one person deserves - and really can't get enthusiastic about riding. It's gotten very easy to find something, anything to fill my time other than riding. I still love hanging around with people who do ride, supporting them in their efforts, but actually riding myself has gotten challenging. Hell, I have seriously entertained the idea of getting a motorcycle.

And yet, an epic ride has been occupying most of my thoughts of late. The Silk Road, the length of Africa, the Great Divide, Trans Am, Trans Europe. But I could see doing it on a motorcycle just as easily as on a bicycle. I'll be 55 in a few months so if I'm going to learn to ride a motorcycle well enough for such a trip, it'd better be soon, don't ya think?

Biking is what I do. It's what I've always done. Is it time for a change?


Cheers

8 comments:

  1. I have a good motorcycle to begin riding on I learned on it and it would be easy for you to learn on it as well. send me an email and we can talk. Monte

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt that way for a while too. In a way, breaking my hand last summer might have been a good thing. It forced me to hang up the bike for a good six months. And this spring I'm feeling more bikey than I have in quite some time.

    Want me to break your hand for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm -- I'll get back to you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One must expand their horizons. I can definitely relate to what you are talking about. For me it was road biking, rude people, cars, and what not. I still go, but not that often.

    I ride because I love to ride. It's not about training and getting faster. There are many other things that, fortunately, I love to do. Biking can't be a be all end all.

    Get the motorcycle, learn to ride it, and enjoy the hell out of it. Whatever you do...don't stop pedaling completely and don't break your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Pete, you should break your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rode the St Paul Classic with a broken hand in a cast duct taped to the handlebar. It was working great until I had to climb the Ramsey Hill, and couldn't quite bunny hop over the rider that fell in front of me. Been there, done that.

    Vito -- sage advice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. KM,
    have you ever heard of geocaching (www.geocaching.com)???
    this sport would give you a new outlook about biking. you travel the country a lot, and you just might get into it more than you think!! lol

    Peace, Joe

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my uncles uses his bike for riding to remote places to fly fish. Rides with purpose are good rides I say.

    ReplyDelete