Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wilderness Medicine

I finished my wilderness EMT recertification in Flagstaff a few days ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it. What makes this training so much more valuable than the urban EMT training I have taken is in the backcountry, you don't have access to 911 and all the stuff it comes with. You need to be "Machyver" and improvise.

What really sets this training above others is the use of scenarios to test skills. The instructors used lots of theatrical props and fake blood to simulate a mass casualty incident. In this case, a load of tourists shot down in a hot air baloon.





A.hand shredded in the fall.





A mid shaft femur break. This came with a pump that squirted fake blood several feet.




An evisceration using condoms and tape.

I was the gunshot vistim and had both entry and exit wounds glued to my torso and then was covered in fake blood.

It's a very realistic way to test skills and I hope I never have to deal with it in reality


Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment